Enjoy the Comforts of Propane this Winter
November 21, 2022
Propane is a safe, versatile, and clean energy source used by more than 14 million Americans every year. If your home utilizes propane, there are some important safety tips you should know so you and your family can enjoy the benefits of propane. Stafford Oil & Propane is a trusted provider of propane delivery and propane heating equipment installation, maintenance, and repairs. Your safety is our number one priority, but even the best-maintained systems can break down.
- Make sure you know what propane smells like; an odorant is added to make it smell sulfuric, like rotten eggs. If you notice the smell, leave your home immediately and call us at (603) 524-1480 to report a possible leak.
- We strongly recommend that our customers install carbon monoxide detectors and propane gas detectors to identify any possible propane leaks.
- Keep all outdoor propane appliances, including heaters, grills, and generators, outside. Do not use them in enclosed areas like a garage or basement.
- Store propane cylinders outdoors.
- Have Stafford Oil & Propane make all repairs and modifications to your equipment, valves, and other parts to ensure they run safely.
- Propane heating systems should be inspected at least once a year, so contact us today if your equipment is due for an inspection.
What To Do if You Smell Gas
- Immediately put out all smoking materials or other open flames, and do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones in the house.
- Leave the area immediately. Get everyone out of the building or area of a suspected gas leak. Do not re-enter the area until a professional from our staff or the fire department has told you it is safe to do so.
- Report the leak. After leaving the area, call 911 or your fire department and let them know you suspect a propane leak and why. Then call Stafford Oil & Propane, so we can send over a technician right away.
- Shut off the gas. If you can safely get to the main gas supply line on your propane tank, close the valve by turning it to the right (clockwise).
We are confident in the safety of propane and would not deliver it if we did not feel it was safe for use in our own homes. However, being prepared for an unexpected leak can protect you and your loved ones. Review our propane safety page for additional resources. If you need propane equipment service, or delivery, contact Stafford Oil & Propane today by giving us a call at (603) 524-1480.